Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Radio

Board index » FTA News & Discussion » News And Developments

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:45 am 
SUPER USER

Its looking like the end for real this time. Several people have spoken with Skyvision and are being told that Motorola is in fact ending 4DTV support 12/31/2010. One guy spoke with Motorola directly and got the same thing. I will be calling their 4DTV people for comment, well pretty much to confirm for myself.

This sucks bigtime for the 4DTV guys. All I can say is that there are other options.

4Play. This software is designed so that you can read the map from the box and add unmapped in the clear DCII channels to your receiver. You won't be getting the subscription stuff but it will get you some channels. We have the 4Play software posted in the all other receivers area.

FTA. You already have a LNB, BUD and actuator that will work with FTA. All you need is a FTA receiver and possibly a VBOX convert the FTA commands into dishmoving commands for the actuator. The VBOX is nice but actually is optional, you can make a chart of the 4DTV location names and convert that into the orbital location/sat names we use with FTA. VBOX offers automatic positioning where the 4DTV positioning for FTA would be manual input.

Streaming/OTA. Services like Boxee (Free) or netflix on demand on the Roku offer a good variety of programming. Boxee has many current shows and some old good ones too, and its all on demand. OTA is always good to get your local networks and PBS if you are in an area where you can get OTA. Of course OTA is free.

Sub. I know many of you hate the DBS small dishes. So do many of us. But if you need certain programming or the wife does you might have to. FridgeFTA recommends DirecTV as they have better service and more HD options than Dish Network. If you really want to go with Dish Network whatever you do, be sure NOT to sign up thru NPS. You would be feeding the monster that helped cause the 4DTV issue. NPS might offer you a special deal or a discount, you can find those on your own without feeding NPS.

Board index » FTA News & Discussion » News And Developments